Tag: Title 24 Energy Code Compliance
The California Energy Commission (CEC) has set a standard for the way insulation should be installed in a home called High Quality Insulation Installation (QII). In order to meet QII, insulated framing areas need to resist thermal bridging of the assembly separating conditioned from unconditioned space. This visual inspection is conducted by a “third party” called a certified HERS Rater. The HERS Rater (HERS Verifier or HERS Verification) confirms the insulation was installed almost perfectly, allowing the home to perform per the insulation manufacturer’s specifications. In addition, the HERS rater verifies that compliance meets or exceeds the project’s Title 24 Design or the CF-1R. QII verification almost always requires two visits to conduct full verification. The first visit is usually held at rough stage (before drywall) and the other is held after.
A few of the items inspected for QII include:
- the insulation holds the proper R-value and type listed
- there are no gaps or voids between the framing or insulation
- there is no insulation compression where restricted from achieving full thickness
- pipes and wires are in cavities where insulation occurs and are covered with non-compressed insulation in front and back
- an air barrier is installed at all exposed faces of batt, loose fill, and SPF insulation
- electrical boxes are carefully cut out in the insulation in order to provide a tight fit with no gaps or holes
- and more. Review the entire checklist here: CEC: Quality Insulation Installation (QII) – Insulation Installation Checklist.
If your Title 24 Design or CF-1R requires QII, be sure to contact DuctTesters (a HERS rater) at the beginning of the project. If you do not know what compliance is required for your project, also feel free to contact us. We can put a proposal together and help you from the beginning through the end of your project. DuctTesters has a team of certified HERS raters covering the entire state of CA and select areas of NV, NM, CO and AZ.
**Please note this is DuctTesters interpretation of QII. It is the responsibility of anyone utilizing this information to ensure that it is in compliance with the CEC and CA Title 24 Standards.**