We work in the sustainability field. We test system efficiency and make sure that the installation and methods are done properly and correct for their use.
Posted by: DuctTesters | on June 26, 2015
Each quarter, CAHP recognizes a project exceeding Title 24 by the highest percentage. The top project of Quarter 2, 2015 is Artisan, by Wathen Castanos Hybrid Homes. DuctTesters is proud to have been the energy consultant and HERS rater for this beautiful energy efficient home.
The Energy Efficient and Sustainable Measures achieved:
- Windows with a U-factor of: 0.31 – 0.34 (The lower the U-factor, the better the window insulates and prevents heat from escaping the building)
- The Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC) was 0.22 – 0.33 (this measures the portions of solar energy transmitted and lets you know how well the product blocks the heat coming from the sun).
- Air Condition Split System with 16 SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficient Ratio) and 13 EER (Energy Efficiency Rating). The higher the SEER or EER, the higher the efficiency and the less energy the unit will consume. A SEER measurement is used for a room while the EER measurement is used for a central air conditioning.
- Central Furnace 96% AFUE (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency). AFUE is a percentage of heat in the incoming fuel which is converted to space heat instead of being lost. The higher the percentage, the more efficient.
- R-17.75 Exterior Wall Insulation System. R-value is a unit of thermal resistance of material(s) – such as insulation panels. The R-value varies based on a solid material’s resistance to conductive heat transfer. The larger the R-value, the greater the material or materials will resist heat, hence a more efficient insulating product.
- Insulated R-8 Ducts
- Low Flow 1.28 Gallons Per Minute Plumbing Fixtures
- 0.82 EF Tankless Water Heater
- Solarban 70XL Windows with Argon Gas
- Fluorescent Lighting
Be sure to read California Advanced Homes Program article here: http://cahp-pge.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/2015-CAHP-Q2-Newsletter_v3_062415.pdf and/or
Professional Builder Magazine’s Article: 2014 Housing Giants: The Long Road To Energy Efficiency: http://www.probuilder.com/2014-housing-giants-long-road-energy-efficiency